Thursday, June 22, 2006

Geek Stuff

June 22, 2006

Kudos to Tanvi for actually reading my ramblings and being the first person that I do not personally know to paste a comment (at the blogspot). Although Tanvi was probably lured by the promise of a prize. In the best tradition of Marvel Comics, what you won was a no-prize. Sorry, but I decided to keep the million dollars to myself. Although Marvel did also send stuff when they awarded a no-prize (to my knowledge it was but a letter that stated that they won the no-prize). Who knows, if I offer enough no-prizes maybe more people will drop in and decide that my writing is actually mediocre and start throwing rotten tomatoes, dull knives and other assorted rusty instruments at me.

Now, to more important stuff.

Affleck and Damon for the new Star Trek movie as Spock and Kirk, respectively? As reported on www.aintitcool.com, I hope this is fake. Not that Harry Knowles’ website has been up to par in breaking news lately. I still read the site for the reviews, but other sites break the news sooner. The do have interesting talkbacks and the readers bring their nerdiest and geekiest with them when they comment. My favourite suggestion though is that they suggested the wrestler, The Rock as the Spock. Completely and totally off left field but the image just stuck in my head. Can you smell what the Spock is cooking? I have not watched pro wrestling since I was knee high to a short guy, but Dwayne Johnson seems like a pretty decent guy. Can you imagine this big guy as Spock though? I would totally buy that for a dollar.

Slightly bugging though was the suggestion of John Cho as Sulu. Nothing against the guy, he was wonderfully bastardy in Better Luck Tomorrow and people love him in Harold and Kumar, but it seems as though the talkbackers just thought of him because he was the first (or only) Asian guy they knew of. Kinda like the Lucy Liu thing, back when she used to be the token slanty eyed person in movies and TV shows. I hate to bring up the notion of skin tones, but Sulu was always an Asian with a darker complexion (think Indo Chinese or most Filipinos) and John Cho is not that. But they could do worse and cast the arch enemy of my brother in law Edison Chen (a tale I have to tell one of these days) or one of the HK cantopop boys in the role. Honestly, though, if they announce an open casting call for the role of Sulu, I am gonna run up and give it a shot. Yeah, I have no acting experience (unless you count being an extra in high school plays) but I can do George Takei impersonations with the best of them.

________________________________________________________________________
http://www.myspace.com/catterpillarboy
http://catterpillarboy.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home