Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The Future Hates You

Please note that at the time of this posting the End of the World has postponed. God and the Devil happen to be soccar fans and want to watch the World Cup.

Tuesday, 666

Hey, it’s the end of the world. Or some other demonic stuff. How about that? Now, I will have to listen to that Cure song from their most recent album over and over again or it will be in my head all day. My recommendations for this momentous day when the dread Pepito rises, the dead walk the earth and I do a jiggy dance?

Well, there are two books regarding the end of the world by Neil Gaiman that I would propose you check out if you are in the mood for the end times. The first is co written by Terry Prachett called Good Omens. Just like the remake coming out today, it is about a boy who is supposed to be the antichrist but all he wants to be is a boy, best friends who just happen to an angel and a demon, the other horsemen of death, the demon hell hound named Dog and how eventually every song you listen to turns to Bohemian Rhapsody. It is a fun read, totally all over the place with footnotes that are at times a better read that the main text.

Then there is Signal to Noise, illustrated by Dave McKean. A more serious tone as it tackles the point that each day is always the end of the world for someone. It also touches
on what happened the last time the world was supposed to end (which was the year 1000, not the year 2000- no one expected the world to end then, well except the over religious being that is my Mother). One of my favourite works by Neil Gaiman, I can read this over and over again.

Really decent works although I am slightly biased since they are written by my favourite author.

The Play list for the end of the world:

The Cure-self titled album: As described by the band members that this is the Cure playing as a cover band covering the Cure. People love it or people hate it. I listen to it now and then. There are songs I like, there are songs that I forget existed until I listen to them. But it has the End Of The World on it. That said- the album aint that bad.

VNV NATION- Burning Empires: Totally Excellent and gets better with every listen. This gets buried with me.

Peter Murphy: Wild Birds

Tokyo Rose: New American Saint

The Passion Of Lovers: Bauhaus Tribute

Industrial Madness Disc 3.

And since we are on the topic of the antichrist, can I get political for a second? What the hell is George Bush up to with his new anti gay marriage initiative? Well, we all know his popularity is at a low, that the Democrats are set to take over soon, the rising fuel costs and the war in Iraq is, well, not really in the hands of the Americans anymore. So he comes up with this? Traditional marriage my bohinky. Why is this place becoming the Land of the Free As Long as Your Freedom is Dictated By Us?

2008 cannot come soon enough.

Political stuff over.

Now where was I?

June 06, 2006 or as some people lovingly refer to it: 060606

It is the 21st century.

I still do not have cable TV- never have.

I still do not have a cell phone. Eventually I will- but not now.

I do not have a digital camera.

I have a mp3 player but I use it to save documents and not music.

I do not have a jet pack, I drive to work.

My car does not fly- it does not even have a radio.

We have the internet. But there are those who want to get rid of net neutrality so if I ever get an audience of people who actually read my rants, they may get rid of my ability to reach that hypothetical audience.

We do not have teleporters or things that can go at warp speed. But happily there are those who are experimenting so that one day we may just teleport to place in warp speed.

I have not met an alien.

The Future is not what I thought it would be.

But I have hope.

Unless today is the end of the world.
________________________________________________________________________
http://www.myspace.com/catterpillarboy
http://catterpillarboy.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home