Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Here I go Again...

May 17, 2006

Asian/Pacific Americans now make up three point seven percent of the nation's population and four point eight percent in Austin. FYI: When I came here to Austin, people did not think I was a 100% Asian hence the point eight in that number (every now and then the four other Asians and I hang out at Costco). So what did they think I was? Most of them just gave me a blank stare until I said something. In the past I have been mistaken for Hispanic and Indochinese. No one has ever spoken to me in Spanish but I have had people come up to me and start gibbering Vietnamese, Laotian or Cambodian and expect a response in kind. . But not Thai, because if you are Thai and speak to me in Thai, I will just keep saying ‘Body Cup’ and since they have a collective memory of sorts (through the power of their King) they just stay away from me. Before I lived in the States when I was living a mile away from the equator (I am not kidding) the locals thought I was Malaysian or Indonesian. In California the only people who knew what I am were others of my own kind. The rest just automatically thought I knew some sort of Kung fu. I do not know any kung fu. But I do watch a lot of their movies. They are cool.

Not sure if there are any Asian American Heritage month events in Austin going on. If there are, the other four guys are not telling me about it. But as other people have blogged- it is kinda easy to get lost when the month is shared with National Bike Month, National Barbecue Month, Clean Air Month and National Mental Health Month plus mother’s day, Memorial day and all the students are starting to cram for finals. Wait- barbecue month? Hells yeah!

Besides- why waste precious mental capacities on things like the heritage of your Asian American buddies when there are more important things to ponder about in the city of Austin. Like the college football player who was arrested for procession of Mary Jane over the weekend. Never mind the elections, let us focus on the guy who in any other school we would not spend any time on him, they would just kick him out of their higher learning institute. In fact, let us not spend any more time on him and just move on.

Fucking sports town.

But there are more that just four point eight Asians in the city of Austin and looks like they actually had some events last year- this year they are just too preoccupied with National Bicycle Month (I am just kidding). I do not need a month to celebrate my heritage. If I feel like it, I will pop in one of my kung fu flicks into the DVD, warm up some shu mai and drink some mango drinks (because I never got into boba drinks). If an event does pop up, maybe I will hang out with them just to see what a mass of Asians do to have fun when they hang out together.

Oh, and Thai people do not have a communal mind. But I do day ‘body Cup’ to them. And they do tend to say away from me. Mostly because I eat all their satay (now I am going to crave some).

(PS: I just found out that the city is having a thing on May 26, 2006 which is a Friday from 11:30am to 1pm- just enough time to get there on my lunch break and miss it. More info at http://welcome.to/AAEN )
________________________________________________________________________
http://www.myspace.com/catterpillarboy
http://catterpillarboy.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home