Wednesday, September 27, 2006

NAMES

September 27, 2006

The Brits have the right idea at http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/science/nature/5375108.stm , calling for sustainable fishing of tuna. A step in the right direction, hopefully others will follow suit.

FEARLESS REVIEW

The summer movie season is over. I do not really remember what movies I saw- they must not be that memorable (except for Superman Returns, I liked that movie). I skipped X-Men (I like Ratner’s Rush Hour movies, but because of Jackie, not the directing) and I skipped Pirates of the Caribbean (which I wanted to see, but kept missing and now it is out of theaters). The wannabe Initial D movie was okay, I guess, except I kept wanting the lead character to die a vicious, vicious death. I will probably also eventually catch the new Tony Jaa movie except everyone keeps saying that if you have seen Ong Bak, you have already seen this movie.

One movie I did see and saw this weekend is Jet Li’s swansong to pure martial arts movies and probably the last time I see a movie in theaters this year (I may catch Curse of the Golden Flower, unless www.yesasia.com comes out with an all-region disc first). All I can say about Fearless, is that Hao Yinjia can probably beat up Clark Kent if he wanted to (and, yes one of the reasons I saw it in theatres is that YesAsia did not have an all-region disc available yet). A violent movie about non-violence (the Bush administration should see this movie, but they will probably hate it because it has subtitles), I have to say this is the best movie I have seen in theaters this year. The martial arts is excellent (and not too wire dependent, not that I do not like wire-fu, if done well, it could be excellent) and the philosophy even better. Plus, Jet gets into a fight with a guy at least three times his size. You have got to watch that!

Anyway.

It has been a week or longer since I have been here have I? Well, I am still here. Just bit busier than usual I guess. Holly and I have another niece and our three legged wonder of the world has another cousin (I am talking about our cat here; after working with kids of all ages and attitudes for four years I am staying away from the notion of me having any for a long time, maybe forever). All that aside, congratulations to my sister, the unfortunately named Marie Antonette and my brother in law, Daniel who delivered their first child and daughter, the likewise unfortunately named Amelia Marie Higginbottom.

What? I think she could have been named better. I would have named her Lil-Pink-Thing-who-will-wake-you-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night. At least until she is two. Okay, my naming abilities suck. I would have probably given her a name from a song I liked, although after rats named Charlotte and Elise, I have got to look elsewhere other that Cure songs.

I have always liked the name Starleigh, but probably only as a middle name (where that came from, you will never know- now see me smiling mysteriously). I had a friend named Leila in high school, whose name apparently means ‘dark as night’- I like the meaning, but I would mostly probably stay away from names of people I knew or know of.

How else would I have named our new niece? Most names I cold think of sound cool for like five minutes (for instant the name Echo sounds cool- no pun intended- no pun intended), but after five minutes you get tired of it and wish they had another name. Holly and I took a long time deciding if we were going to change the names of our cats when they were adopted. They were almost Shasta and Dilandau from the anime Escaflowne, which were watching like crazy at the time. We eventually settled on the names they came with which, although a tad generic, just seemed to fit them and their personalities so well.

And speaking of the Japanese, I am reminded of a cousin of my mother’s who after a stint in Japan for one reason or another decided to bestow all of his kids with Japanese names. So there is a family out there with Japanese first names with corresponding Filipino surnames. Would I do that? I think my cousin’s kid has a Swahili name (wherever Shanti is from), but then again, Gwen comes up with the weirdest names (a puppy named Taizo and another kid name Kross). If I ever had to name something for real, I would definitely outsource that job to Gwen.

I always liked the naming convention Neil Gaiman uses in his books. The names of his characters always have something to do with their actions and behavior. I wonder if he comes up with names first and then the characterization comes after. The most obvious example of this is the English names of the Endless in the Sandman books. And his character of Death has had a pretty big impact on my life and I hope to have a good conversation with her when I am finally granted mercy from this thing called my life. Maybe I would have named my niece a variation of the name Death? Gotta hit the Sandman books again for variations of the name of Death (there is Dee Dee, Teleute, and a couple of others).

I like the name Page or Paige, because I like books, but it reminds me of Bettie Page too much.

I also like Constantine but not Constantina or whatever the female variation of the name is.

I also like the name Spike, as it was the name some of the kids I used to work would call me (and has nothing to do with the James Marsters character, which is just by coincidence, my favourite Whedonverse character). However, Spikette sounds stoopid. Although, if my niece goes by Amelia the Bloody, I could live with that. And continuing with the Buffyverse, I have always liked the name Faith, but now it just reminds me of Eliza Dushku.

I like the name Chun-Li, but only if she grows up to be a Chinese girl who wears her hair in buns and kicks ass.

Indigo is a crappy name and so are most names based on colors.

This brings me to the name Ash. I like the color of gray. I do not know anyone by that name. Holly had a cat named Ashes but the singular form seems different enough. In popular culture, the lead from the Evil Dead movies is named Ash, but he is more popularly known and associated as just being Bruce Campbell.

So Ash, but not Ashley, Ashington, Ashawanga or whatever. Just Ash. With a middle name that is a variation on Starleigh to be just Leigh (I know Ash Leigh=Ashley, but I will just call her Ash and call her Ash Leigh only when she pisses me off).

So, my sister who was unfortunately named after a notorious French lady who has a movie based on her life coming out soon that is filled with eighties tunes and was beheaded but not before she gave people cake, congratulations on Amelia (who Holly & I will have to visit soon) but do not think it odd if I call her Ash. Sorry about that last name though, there is nothing I can do about that.

And besides, Amelia Marie is not a bad name.

Now I want cake.

PS: I was named after both my grandfathers and Holly was named because her mom, who is a teacher, never had a student with that name.

PPS: The Sugarcubes are reuniting for one show only in Iceland. Anyone got spare tickets, airfare and accommodations?

PPPS: Apoptygma Berzerk are doing shows in Australia. Why do they hate me?

PPPS: The VNV Nation one off show in LA has sold out apparently surprising many people but me. Again, anyone got spare tickets, airfare and accommodations? Oh and why do THEY hate me?


________________________________________________________________________
http://www.myspace.com/catterpillarboy
http://catterpillarboy.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home