Saturday, August 18, 2007

God still hates me and other fun facts

Once upon a time in the not-too-distant future (in distant days longing to sense it all so clear):

"Racism isn't born, folks, it's taught. I have a two-year-old son. You know what he hates? Naps! End of list."- Dennis Leary

Hey, I am now at http://cattterpillarboy.deviantart.com (mind the number of t’s). You can see some of my sketches and photos and where you can laugh at my lack of skill and talent. Also if you are reading this on Myspace, I am debating just using the Journal function there instead of here, so if you really, really, really want to know what I am thinking head over there, make fun of me- I will not mind.

If you are reading this on deviant art, find me also at http://www.myspace.com/catterpillarboy, http://catterpillarboy.livejournal.com and http://catterpillarboy.blogspot.com (again, mind the number of t’s). I regularly post my thoughts to practice my writing in hopes that one day, maybe one day I will get something published.

By the way, there are approximately ninety three million bloggers currently out there making the chances of you actually really reading this about the same as winning the lottery.

Better luck next time, buddy.

Eighties bands are going straight to hell: Duran Duran has a song with Justin Timberlake and Timbaland while the Violent Femmes are suing themselves. They should all just do something respectable like what Belinda Carlise and Tiffany did and pose for Playboy.

Not that the world needs a view of Simon Le Bon’s Le Bon Bons.

What sucks: One car is in the shop (there goes my salary for the next few months) and the other one’s CD player just died. The one in the shop has not had a radio for about ten years now by the way.

More proof that God hates me.

Okay, enough already: They are threatening a remake of Enter the Dragon, turning it into “contemporized drama about a lone FBI agent who pursues a rogue Shaolin monk into the bloody world of underground martial arts fight clubs” and being “more 'Raging Bull' than 'Crouching Tiger' in its viciousness.”

Yes, they have remade Fist of Fury a million times, but remaking Enter the Dragon in this manner is not only unncecessary but also disrespectful. I hope this one gets passed over along with that CGI movie that Rob Cohen wanted to make.

What I did not see this past weekend: Stardust

I am waiting for the DVD- is that wrong? Should I turn in my Neil Gaiman Fan Club badge? Actually I wanted to see it, but as always- life intervened and I will have to wait a bit longer before seeing it.

The book is pretty good- I remember the late nineties waiting month after month to get the next part in the story and then paying the outstanding amount of $29.99 for the hardcover. The story is an intersting romp through fairy tale conventions, a romantic comedy and interesting coincidences.

Well now, they have reissued the hardcover with a green cover with extra added material that just makes me sick- why could they have not done that with the first release? Bastards- I hate double dipping (in this manner at least).

But my copy is signed Neil- so, nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah…

Seen (a little): Persied Meteor Shower

We woke up at 2am on August 12th and looked out the back yard and a bit at the darker parts of our neighbourhood. We did not venture much further out being half asleep and all- but for about an hour in the midst of street lights and city glare we were able to catch a few small ones and one big one streak across the night sky. Pretty good for an hour’s watch.

If there is one thing I like about where I live it is that being pretty close to the city I can still see a pretty good view of the stars at night with a good array of constellations visible on any given night, as long as conditions are clear.

Something else I did see : The Crow- Stairway to Heaven

The show was fun in its own campy way but was pretty bland by today’s standards. Most of it comes in the production design- it looks as if they just took the sets left standing for other shows and just used them. The fact that there are recognizable places from the X-Files does not help.

The original movie- of which is the basis of the show was pretty bland plot wise (most revenge stories are) but excelled in atmosphere and ambience. But here- most scenes take place in the daytime, which, come on- how many people who wear black all the time are even up by 9am on a weekday anyway? There is almost nothing ‘goth’ about this show.

The Good: The regular and supporting casts do a convincing job in their roles (the exception being the recurring bad guys of Top Dollar, Fun Boy and Tin-Tin, whose performances are cringe worthy at best). The stories are not award winning, but there are some pretty good ones here and there (I especially like the one where the title character gets an evil tune stuck in his head- we have all been there, how often have you wished you could have gotten rid of a stupid song out of your head?) and so far there has only been one bad one (the one where the Lazarus Group was introduced). Mark Dacascos does some incredible stunt work (especially one ten foot jump where he strikes a pose in mid air).

The Bad: As previously mentioned, the production design. The music (and all the bands that are featured). Decently shot fight scenes (you have Mark Dacascos but you never get to clearly see his moves). The fact that the Crow make up just shows up whenever it wants to. Jeff Albrecht and his love life (totally unnecessary).

Overall: It is a little better than contemporaries the Highlander TV show and about as good as Hercules and as campy as Xena (Xena being the crown champ for shows like these). It is way better than the Beastmaster and Conan show. It is nowhere as good as the original comic book- but then again, none of the movies, novels and follow up comics were either.

But on any given day, when there is nothing but reality TV, talk shows and second rate sitcoms on, this show is a decent distraction.

Rating: B


________________________________________________________________________

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home