Wednesday, November 23, 2005

The Dickens you say...

Ah…Just Like Heaven…the perfect three minute single…

There’s a semi-cool thing happening in downtown Austin this weekend. It’s a Christmas thing with actors in costume and character from Charles Dickens…I hope to run into Marley’s ghost and into Fagin to see if he wants to put his mad skillz working for Casa Pacifica…the thing that makes it only semi-cool? They’re also gonna have recreations of western fights and brawls not unlike what you’d see in Universal Studios…so I wonder if Oliver Twist is gonna sound like he’s from the South and not the South of London…oh, well…

Well, the annual Black Friday is two days away…and with nothing really jumping at me deal wise, I might actually support Buy Nothing Day this year…if you’re not familiar with Buy Nothing Day- it’s a thing advocated by the folks at Adbusters magazine (www.adbusters.org) to battle the rampant consumerism running around today. It’s an admirable act I believe…I myself have too much shit that I don’t need and/or want and the same applies to everyone I know- after all, how essential are cell phones anyway?

However, I do wish that the Adbusters people should pick another day to designate as Buy Nothing Day. The day after Thanksgiving (and shopping on that day) is a tradition to most and it’s cool to find stuff at awesome prices…the Masses buying nothing would be as effective and attention grabbing if it were to happen all of a sudden on a random day in the year rather than on a day full of temptations of great deals…reminds me of a couple of years ago when they tried to do a Buy No Gas Day to battle rising fuel costs- I don’t think the masses cared or noticed and neither did big oil…

Oh, well…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home