Friday, June 16, 2006

Thank you Nury

Friday, June 16, 2006

So, geeky stuff first. I am a fan of the work of Nury Vitacchi, a Sri Lankan author who lives and works in Hong Kong. He is probably most well known for The Feng Shui Detective about a cranky and misery old geomancer who in the course of his work happens to solve crimes. Think Philip Marlow less nihilistic and as written by Douglas Adams. Nury Vitacchi also had a book called Only In Hong Kong that I would read when I was in that Special Administrative Region to see how much of what he read actually occurred. He has since branched out to be a keen observer of all the daily oddities that Asia (and its Asians) and occasionally the rest of the world have to offer. He put out a column about the Filipino love of puns when naming local places. For Example:

A bakery named “Bread Pitt;”

A Makati fast-food place selling a type of banana fritter known as maruya called “Maruya Carey;”

A water engineering firm called “Christopher Plumbing;”

A boutique called: “The Way We Wear;”

A video rental shop called: “Leon King Video Rental;”

A restaurant in the Cainta district of Rizal called: “Caintacky Fried Chicken;”

A local burger restaurant called “Mang Donald's;”

A doughnut shop called: “MacDonuts;”

A shop selling lumpia, or meat parcels, in Quad, Makati, called: “Wrap and Roll;”

A butcher named: “Meating Place;”

Another butcher, called: “Meatropolis;”

But read his stuff, he tells it much better. So anyway on his site, http://www.jam100.com/pages/1/index.htm is a link to send him a message. Which I did, a short one thanking him for his work. To which, surprise, surprise I get a response the next day:

Wow, Joe, your letter really made my day. I slumped into the office this
morning feeling blaaaah and yours was the first letter I saw. Thank you Joe,
you are a man of great literary taste.

I've placed your letter as the "lead" item on my blog:
http://mrjam.typepad.com/diary/

Warmest wishes
Nury

To which I have to say made my day (which can only now get worse? No, I must be optismistic, wait I am supposed to be goth, so a bad, depressing day is a good day for me? It is confusing, stop makin my head hurt).

Thank you Nury, I know you do not get a lot of fans from Texas but you have at least two now (Holly loves your work more that I do, and she actually met you when she used to work at the Far Eastern Economic Review. She says hi!)

________________________________________________________________________
http://www.myspace.com/catterpillarboy
http://catterpillarboy.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home