Thursday, October 12, 2006

Spooky Stuff

October Friday the 13th, 2006

VNV Nation played in L.A. on October 13, 2006. Roman Dirge has an art show in Hollywood that same day. On days like today, I really miss home.

On the plus side, Halloween is around the corner. On one day a year, the normals get to act all Goth, no one gets mad at me for wearing black everyday, the best music gets played on the radio, we all get sick on candy and, generally good times get had by all. To get in the spirit of things, I would like to present my current ten favourite spooky related movies and shows. Check them all out when you get the chance. Or I will swallow your soul!

(Note: Buffy and Angel are not on the list because they are more action-comedies-dramas than actually being spooky- same goes to the Blade movies which I love. Special mention, though, must go to the Body episode of Buffy. The scariest things are the real things that we all must endure in at least one point of our lives. Special mention also goes out to that Sandman issue where all those people get stuck in that one diner)

10. Se7en:
Not a ghost or goblin in sight, the monsters here are all too human. This is a great movie; it just makes me feel dirty after watching it because we all have the potential to become John Doe.

9. Jason Vs. Freddy:
Here, the monsters are in your face. A lot of people would say this is not the best Jason or Freddy movie, but I happen to like it a lot more than I thought I would. Very fun movie with fake scares and dead teenagers plus I have fond memories of both horror icons growing up. Seeing them face off was certainly a lot better than the Aliens going off against them pesky Predators.

8. Millennium/X-Files:
Millennium is like Se7en the TV show. The X-Files is one of the best shows ever made. Both feature a lot of shadows and moody lighting. And like Se7en, they also tend to showcase the awful potential of humanity. The X-Files tended to perk up especially in the later seasons, but Millennium just stays bleak all the way through. Special mention goes to that Host episode which just justifies my disgust of squirmy, legless bugs.

7. The Eye/The Eye II:
I do not really care for the Asian Horror that is being remade so much nowadays (like the Ring) but I happen to like these two. The first one turned out to be more character study and forgiveness and the second all about karma and reincarnation. I forget which movie had this, but I love the scene in the elevator where the character was stuck in with a dead guy and she is so terrified she cannot ever turn around or move and the dead just ever so slowly creeps closer and closer to her. That was a great scare.

6. Evil Dead II:
This gets close to being the action/drama/comedy that got Buffy disqualified from my list. But the claustrophobia of being trapped in that cabin works as well as the reactions of the characters. And the look on Ash’s face as he buries his girlfriend.

5: Land of the Dead:
Actually all of the George Romero zombie movies. Especially Day of the Dead. Land of the Dead gets top billing, because it is my favourite one. Surrounded by hordes of the undead, these movies prove that the human monster is the one we should fear. Plus, there are zombies! Which people say are the new vampire, but I never wanted to be a zombie, just to walk around like one. Special mention must go to Shaun of the Dead. That movie just rocks.

4: Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace:
Scary because I enjoyed it the first time I saw it in a crowd full of rabid fans. Nowadays, it is so bad it is scary and Jar Jar Binks will give you nightmares. If I ever watch it, I just go straight to the Darth Maul scenes.

3. Mr. Vampire:
This movie is just fun. Hopping vampires, kung fu, a gorilla that comes out of nowhere and that yellow robed Taoist Priest that just knows the right thing and at the right time what will repel the creatures of the night. Get the sticky rice and hold your breath- because the vampires cannot sense you when you do!

2. A Chinese Ghost Story:
If you are a Cure fan like me, this song will get A Forest stuck in your head for weeks. Drawing in the fear of being lost in the woods with a sensual but touching love story, this is a certified classic. Everyone must see this one before they die.

1. Tim Burton’s Nightmare Before Christmas/Corpse Bride:
Could there be any other? These two movies must be seen on Halloween (with Vincent shown prior to the screening). Nightmare has the weaker story but the better songs while Corpse Bride has an awesome story but crappy songs. See how that works? But Tim Burton is a visual storyteller, and here is his best work (although Edward Scissorhands is a personal favourite- but that is more of a Christmas tale). Special mention goes to Sleepy Hollow, the closest thing to a pure horror movie from Tim Burton.

Well there you have it. Ten (or so) spooky tales to watch this Halloween (which I may now do a marathon of). For your MP3 player, here are some tunes to help you get into the mood:

Lullaby- The Cure (the spiderman is coming for you tonight)
Dead Man’s Party- Oingo Boingo (leave your body and soul at the door!)
Birthday Party- The Birthday Massacre (chases me to my room!)
Night Shift- Siouxsie and the Banshees (only at night time, I see you, in darkness!)
Bela Lugosi’s Dead- Bauhaus (undead, undead, undead)
Charlotte Sometimes- The Cure (an aural ghost story if there ever was one)
Everyday is Halloween- Ministry (because for me, it is)

Ah, Halloween, it is the most wonderful time of the year.
________________________________________________________________________
http://www.myspace.com/catterpillarboy
http://catterpillarboy.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home