Friday, October 06, 2006

The Truth is in here...

October 06, 2006

I forget sometimes that I work in a down town area. Usually, the only thing that reminds me is the traffic going home. Traffic going to work is usually fine (knock on wood). I sometimes even forget I live in a state capital. So, I took a brief walk during my lunch break to see what is across the street from me. Not what is around me, just what is across the street in one direction.

A quick ten minute walk found me an apartment complex with at least three eateries, several expensive looking stores and an overpriced grocery store as well as an art museum and a children’s museum. And plenty of people just hanging out. Not vagrants, mind you, people who look like it is their weekend and they just wanted to be out and enjoy sun while it lasts.

I am watching lots of the X-Files recently. I used to watch this show quite a bit during the first five seasons, stopping when I moved to Northridge and got more of a life. So you can call me a Vancouver-era X-Files fan. Watching Fox Mulder go around and do his stuff is what made me take psychology as a major in college (plus his weird sense of humor, home video collection and how he goes off in seemingly odd tangents to explain the unexplainable reminds me a bit of myself). I have yet to join the FBI and did not go into criminal profiling but I still may someday.

The post Vancouver episodes have a different feel to them, at least seasons six and seven (I will probably skip the years after Mulder was ‘abducted’). It is not just that it is LA now (substituting for the rest of the world), the mythology seems less focused (especially after the destruction of the First Syndicate) and the CSM seems less of a threat. Not to say that the episodes are bad, they are actually pretty good but they just do not seem like the X-Files of the seasons leading up to the movie. Gone are the attempts to make each episode feel like a big screen movie, the unnerving feeling that something is just around the corner, the blackness and the shadows and the explanations for the unexplainable being plausible.

I saw the episode yesterday with the guy cursed with incredible good luck for example. I like Jeffery Bell’s work (especially on Whedon’s Angel) and this one is no exception. It just does not feel like an X-Files episode. It is just too happy. Mulder, Scully and the X-Files theme song just do not click here. Although, thinking of it now, substitute in Fred, Wesley and the rest of the Angel gang and it is a better fit. Anyway, Holly likes these episodes better that the earlier monster-of-the-week ones (she seems to enjoy the mythology ones as much as I do). I wonder how she will react if I show her the Flukeman or the ‘Home’ episode?

And now to some other news:

A guy was withheld from taking a flight because he was on his cell phone speaking Tamil intermixed with some English in an agitated tone because he was talking about sports. He vows to never speak Tamil in airports again. Pretty soon, I will not be able to speak Tagalog unless I am in the designated zone. That is, if I could speak Tagalog that frequently enough.
George Allen is still running for reelection as a Senator in Virginia. He hates anyone with color in their skin. Please do not vote for him.

The Military Commissions Act which apparently gives the President power to label anyone an "enemy combatant”, amongst other things.

Giant sea faring dinosaurs discovered in the Antarctic. Unfortunately they were already dead.

A new authorized Peter Pan novel just came out. I rather read Lost Girls if I could afford it.

Giant squid have ammonia in their bodies to help the maintain buoyancy and makes their flesh taste like crap. Good luck trying to catch one though if you like crappy tasting food.

Chupacabras have been seen recently in San Antonio and supposed corpses of such beings are currently being examined at UT.

The Departed comes out today. You will really do yourself a favor if you see the original Infernal Affairs films first. They are the best trilogy to come out of Hong Kong.


________________________________________________________________________
http://www.myspace.com/catterpillarboy
http://catterpillarboy.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home