Friday, January 27, 2006

GONG HEI FAT CHOI!


01/27/2006

Gong Hei Fat Choi!

Happy Chinese New Year to one and all! I’m not Chinese (well, technically I’m eighth Chinese as my Grandfather was half Chinese) but I celebrated this growing up in Brunei. There was a pretty good Chinese population there and when I moved to the states, always tried to observe it. I’ve always loved the Lion dancers and always loved the little red packets you would get. I love the fire crackers and of course, the awesome Chinese food. I miss the big parade in LA’s Chinatown. I miss Chi’s in Northridge (haven’t found a decent replacement here but dammit, I am craving chow mein with barbecued pork and chicken dumplings with peanut sauce). There are no celebrations this weekend in Austin but there will be in a couple of weeks- but it won’t be the same since it’s not on the technical Lunar New Year. But I hear the Lion dancers will be there…so I’m looking forward to it.

This might be a weekend for bad Chinese food and good Hong Kong Flicks. Or good Chinese food and bad Hong Kong Flicks. Because even the cheesiest HK flick is still a good time with all the “GAU CHO WAH”s all over the place.

________________________________________________________________________
http://www.myspace.com/catterpillarboy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home