Thursday, April 19, 2007

He's Asian, He likes KMFDM and He's Your Problem...

Once upon a time in the not-too-distant future:

Due to some access issues, I will be changing how I use the various blogs that I have. Currently all three that I operate use the same info, well not anymore, buddy! This time, I will not take it anymore and this time, this time- IT IS PERSONAL!

Ahem.

Oh, well- anyway see below for how the three places I can be stalked online can be found and how they will work.

On to stuff, Mr. Jam has posted the following on his site:

“Publishing in much of the modern world is hard work -- small margins, high costs, and a declining audience size, thanks to the Internet, video games etc.

But in Asia, things are different.
(a) Penetration of computers and the Internet is relatively small compared to elsewhere
(b) Reading is widespread and parents and teachers encourage it very enthusiastically
(c) Gameboys and Playstations are still relatively rare
(d) The standard of English is high
(e) The cost of publishing is very low
(f) The creativity level is high
(g) The quality of editing, artwork and so on is climbing steadily
(h) The market is huge -- 100s of millions”

First I have to assume he is talking about Asia minus Japan or Korea [and whatever beast it is that China wants to become] which is probably the closest the world has at the moment to that Blade Runner future- and I do hope Toyota makes flying cars soon.

But, I believe, he is right about the literacy (or creativity) levels in what most westerners would think of as third world countries. Growing up in South East Asia- even what you would consider the dumbest kids (which usually include me) would devour stories serialized like the pulps of yesteryear and/or manga/manhua/whatever it is they call comics like Storm Riders (I could never read Chinese or Malay properly or even Tagalog so I stuck to whatever English stories I could find- mostly Marvel comics to the horror of my parents). And they were pulps come to think of it; they were printed on the worst and probably cheapest paper anywhere.

And they would be proficient in local urban legends/superstitions that most people nowadays think they are too sophisticated for. Those are stories that stick to in your head and as time goes by each individual add their little bits to those urban legends before passing it along thus encouraging one’s imagination.

(PS: I saw that dead guy in the elevator and/or chick whose braided hair is on both sides of her head and/or aswang and/or chupacabra again today and he says hi)

And yeah, everyone in Asia speaks English. How else could we have watched Santa Barbara? (Tangent: You would be amazed at the number of Germans who visit good old SB just because of that gosh darned soap opera)

So my question is- how does a guy in Texas break into publishing in Asia? Do I just start sending manuscripts to every publisher and magazine and whatever? I’d love to have a book and/or short story published anywhere, but I just think if I break into the Indian market, it’d just be more fun than just have it come out unnoticed in the West.

Plus, being a god to millions in Calcutta is my first step in world domination- wait- did I just say that out loud?*

(Mind you- I am still practicing my writing and story telling skills, typing out my first hundred [thousand] bad stories before I come across one that I am confident enough to send out to be rejected by publishers. Till then, me being your lord and master will have to wait. I don’t mind tributes though if you want to start early. Cash would be nice).

* Yes I did.

PS: I totally agree with these kids: http://www.nbc4.tv/news/11454780/detail.html

And, like no duh: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/03/070330-warming-arctic.html



Okay I wrote all that like a month ago and to be honest, I probably will be utilizing my blogger site very rarely from now on. So congratulations if you read me on livejournal or Myspace.


Been way too busy lately hence the lack of my worthless ramblings.


Now, Virginia Tech: why the emphasis on him being a resident alien? Many sites have already written volumes about that but here is another one. Just because he was a resident alien or South Korean has no bearing on what he did.

Being loony is why he did that.*

If we are going to focus on his race or immigrant status as a factor in why he did what he did, can we revisit Columbine then and say the teenagers did what they did because they were W.A.S.P.’s? Oh and because they listened to KMFDM.


That is all I got to say about that.


(So, I am Asian and I listen to KMFDM- should you be scared of me?)

*Not to be insensitive to those with emotional problems, but he was described to be a depressed loner with ‘disturbing writing’ (more than likely his outlet- which is usually a positive outlet). Yes, it can be seen as a call for help but something pushed him over the edge, I wonder what? Rich kids were mentioned in his suicidal note, wonder if he was bullied, made fun of or just plain jealous?

________________________________________________________________________
Where else I can be found:
http://www.myspace.com/catterpillarboy
See all my amazing friends! Beware of inside jokes that no one, even my friends will get!
http://catterpillarboy.blogspot.com/
Be warned, NSFW stuff might be found here. Also- maybe stories and projects that I am working on.
http://catterpillarboy.livejournal.com
This will probably be the most updated one with all of my thoughts, feelings, book and movie reviews and other random stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home