Friday, March 23, 2007

Hate Crime

Once upon a time around March 2007 (with April creeping, creeping up)

From Angry Asian Man:

Some follow-up on Marie Martinez, who was beat up last week on a New York bus for looking "Chinese." (ATRICLE BELOW)A 14-year-old girl and 17-year-old boy have been arrested in connection with the beating. Police from the hate crimes task force identified the younger teen after finding her bookbag on the B82 bus on which Martinez was attacked. What about all the others in the pack of kids that punched, kicked and taunted her? And what about the idiot bus driver who witnessed the assault and simply told Martinez (who was wearing her Catholic school uniform) to "go talk to a priest"? This was a hate crime, and that's racist! An online petition is being circulated calling for the MTA and NYPD conduct a full and complete investigation into the incident, as well as disciplinary action to be taken towards the bus driver: Condemn anti-Asian hate crimes and hold MTA accountable!The Petition is at http://www.petitiononline.com/mtahate1/petition.html

DRIVER DOES NOTHING AS TEENS ATTACK HER ON BUS
By DAN MANGAN and LEELA de KRETSER

NIGHTMARE: Marie Martinez, in her bloodstained coat yesterday, was attacked on a B82 bus.March 18, 2007 -- A Catholic-high-school student said she was brutally punched, kicked and teased for looking "Chinese" by a pack of kids as she rode a city bus home from school - and claims the bus driver did nothing except tell her to "go to a priest." Marie Stefanie Martinez, 17 - still bruised and battered after her ordeal - says she was wear ing her uniform when she was attacked by a group of 10 black teenagers shortly after step ping on to the B82 bus at 3:30 p.m. Friday. "I'm just so glad the kids didn't have a weapon. If they did, I could have died if they stabbed me with a pen or something," said Martinez, from the Phil ippines. The brazen beating began as the bus pulled away from Ocean Avenue and Kings Highway, where Martinez boarded with her pal, Sherell. "When we got on they were al ready whis pering and mak ing noises and everything," Martinez said. "They were like 'I'm not letting you past' and everything. They were laughing." The scared schoolgirl said she was laughed at when she tried to defend herself, with the bullies mocking her accent. "They were pulling my hair, pulling my hair, opening my book bag!" she said. "I said, 'Leave me alone. I'm not doing anything to you.' "That's when they started to crowd around me. The boy punched me twice in my face and my mouth." Martinez said she was ultimately saved by a man in his 30s, who pulled her from the group. The honors student then told the driver what happened, and he shockingly said to go to talk to a priest. She instead opted to file a report at the 63rd Precinct. Lourdes Maduindam, Martinez's aunt and legal guardian, said when she saw her niece, "She was bleeding like crazy from her noise and mouth. She had a headache and was dizzy. "Thank God there's no fracture." Martinez said she is so afraid that she doesn't know how she'll get to school tomorrow. "I am terrified. I'm scared to take the bus," she said. "I can't sleep. I've tried to sleep, but I can't. I'm too afraid to." Martinez's lawyer, Rosemarie Arnold, said the family will sue the MTA. "How did the bus driver let this happen?" Arnold said. "You have 13 kids making a commotion. This guy just turned a blind eye to it. "He shirked his responsibility to this child." The MTA could not immediately comment. Additional reporting by Eric Lenkowitzdan.mangan@nypost.com
________________________________________________________________________
http://www.myspace.com/catterpillarboy
http://catterpillarboy.blogspot.com/
http://catterpillarboy.livejournal.com

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for helping get the word out on this.

Maraming salamat, ingat lang.

-Jun Zuniga

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home