Thursday, March 08, 2007

Celeb Deaths and Fob Equity


Once upon a time around March 2007

And with March comes spring break (held the same week by all educational centers all over Austin, which I still think is odd; where I came from they want to keep the adult students away from the underage ones). And at the same time comes SXSW, probably the best event of the year in this town.

And as with last year, I am too poor to buy a wristband, despite the fact that to see so many bands over at least a four day period for less that $200.00 is an awesome deal. So sue me, I do not have that kind of money to part with at the moment. But then again, last year I did not have a wristband either and still had a blast (a week Holly and I coined the Rock N Roll Lifestyle Week).

The bands playing this year is not as impressive as it was last year but that just means that the lesser known ones get a better shot at being noticed. I plan to check out some of the free shows during the day, especially of some of the creatively named bands (I do not think Tia Carerre is in the band named after her), cruise downtown at night, beat up tourists and maybe check out Public Enemy (because you know, I like to bring the noise every now and then).

Or I can be the stereotypical townie and just avoid the whole thing.

Oh, and the fact that I am too old for Spring Breaking.

Captain America is dead (as I have heard, I have not read the book yet).

Who cares?

I do actually (I have an affinity with this character as my parents bought me a Captain America costume growing up and I was always forever making cardboard shields). I hope the stories that come out in this aftermath are actually good. The death of Captain America is an awesome opportunity for the stories to reflect the world we live in. I hope Mr. Quesada lets them take their sweet time before Steve Rogers is inevitably resurrected.


And on the topic of celebrity deaths, Lisa Ling has the right idea:

“[Lisa Ling] said she was dismayed by the media's current fixation on less-than-weighty stories, such as the recent Rosie O'Donnell-Donald Trump feud and [Anna Nicole] Smith's death.

"It's tragic," she said of the latter. "But we have soldiers dying every day. It doesn't sit well with me. I also don't want to sound like this nerdy activist. But to me it's just sort of a sad commentary on the culture."

And this comes from a journalist who went undercover to North Korea to uncover how they really live and not just the PR pieces that Uncle Kim lets through.

An on the topic of brown, slanty-eyed people, the struggle continues to grant Filipinos who served with American forces in the last good and great war (WWII) the same sort of benefits all veterans rightfully should have.

From an article at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/03/AR2007030301331.html:

"Historically, we Filipinos have always been looked down on as your little brown brothers -- as these acquiescent people who would just accept anything Uncle Sam would do to them," said Jon Melegrito, communications director of the National Federation of Filipino American Associations. "This is about asserting who we are as a people and how we served this country. . . . It's a call to action to stop acting like colonial slaves and to start acting like first-class citizens."

About 200,000 Pinoys fought with the round eyed good old boys in WWII. However, congress stripped most of them of their rights as foreign veterans of U.S. forces -- including the opportunity to become U.S. citizens -- on the grounds that the Philippines was about to be granted independence. You see, this is how you treat your allies.

The movement to grant Filipino veterans of WWII equity in benefits has been going on for a while now and the movement actually looks to be going in a positive direction. Unfortunately it has been very slow and efforts to bring more light into situation just bring proof to Mr. Melegrito’s statement that the general populace just sees us as your little brown brothers. It seems that at the pace they are going, all the veterans would have passed away before anything is accomplished. As it is 24,000 elderly veterans who became U.S. citizens after 1990 have to live off food stamps and Supplemental Security Income payments.

It is just not right.

________________________________________________________________________
http://www.myspace.com/catterpillarboy
http://catterpillarboy.blogspot.com/
http://catterpillarboy.livejournal.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home