Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Life in Small Town, USA

Hey, she's braver that I'll ever be...

February Something, 2007 (and coming onto March!)

Paraphrased Quote of the week: “I have fun. Remember when I punched Hitler? That was fun.”- Captain America

Kudos to Big Louie and his bother, Joseph who came by to Austin this past weekend for an academic conference. Two of the smartest people I know, gracias for dinner and allowing for me to hang with you guys. Next time, come over to my place and I will cook some dead cow and serve slushies or something.

It is always nice to see old friends. Especially old friends from back home, it is like listening to an old song that you have not heard in a while. And one of the cooler things about a friend like Big Louie (or just plain Luis as he likes to be known) is that he is not afraid to criticize you or tell you what is on his mind, which is really refreshing in the world of today (okay, I will stop writing about so much about So-Cal and write more about local issues- or not, but it is totally fucking hilarious that the opening of a supermarket makes the evening news here- welcome to small-town USA, Bro). It is also nice as visits from old friends can be a barometer of where you were and where you are and if you are lucky, where you want to be.

Maybe the next time you guys are in town, I will finally be enrolled in an art class or actually have a studio up at the place where I can finally draw on a regular basis instead of just scribbling stuff or actually update the OS on my MAC so I can produce lots of stuff that I like to draw meaning a website full of renderings of skulls and skull like things will eventually be forthcoming.

Seen this Weekend: The Departed

Just in time for its Oscar sweep, this movie is an okay movie. Granted I am biased because of my love of the Infernal Affairs Trilogy, but the remake just feels too much like the movie it is remaking. Sure there are small changes, but beat by beat, the movie is not a remake but a photocopy. Complete with the odd fetish of head shots. You would think both Scorsese and Andrew Lau both secretly want to make a zombie flick. Now, I did not hate the flick, I enjoyed it, it is just that if I wanted to watch this movie again, I would pop in Infernal Affairs instead unless I am too lazy to read subtitles.

Plus, the lack of recognition the original trilogy gets despite the award winnings of the Departed bugs me.

Other observations: Leo will never be as cool as Tony Leung and Matt Damon was more of a bad guy than Andy Lau was in the first Infernal Affairs. Martin Sheen commands respect on the screen the same way Anthony Wong does.

Overall rating; B Minus, a good but over-hyped film based on a better film.

(And yes, Scorsese deserved a win, but for his career, not this movie. And William Monahan, the screenwriter deserves a special place in hell for his Oscar win- all he did was translate the script from Cantonese to English. Yes, Cantonese, not Japanese)

Guillermo Navarro also won for his cinematography work on Pan’s Labyrinth. I already love Blade II and Hell Boy- but even if I did not, both movies are very pretty to look at because of him.

Seen two weekends ago: Hustle S2

Still in a crime state of mind? This show rocks! There is nothing more I can say. I am a fan of this show now.


Just for the hell of it, my opinion of a super band:

Lyrics, music, programming, additional vocals and additional keyboards by Ronan Harris (VNV Nation)

Vocals, additional guitars and make up by Robert Smith (The Cure)

Lead Guitar by Joey Santiago (aka the greatest Filipino in the world, The Pixies)

Bass and martial arts choreography by Peter Hook (New Order)

Live Drums by Boris Williams (Formerly of the Cure)

Drum Machine Programming, additional percussion and fist pumping by Mark Jackson (VNV Nation)

Keyboard/Synths and costuming by Martin Gore (Depeche Mode)

Cymbals, triangle and the jokes in-between songs by Morrissey (Morrissey)


________________________________________________________________________
http://www.myspace.com/catterpillarboy
http://catterpillarboy.blogspot.com/
http://catterpillarboy.livejournal.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home