Thursday, February 15, 2007

Los Angeles Versus Austin to the Death!

One for the ladies because I know they all love Leon...
February Something, 2007

On Valentines Day I wear black.


On St. Patrick’s Day I also wear black.

And while we are on the subject of holidays, KUNG HEI FAT CHOI to everyone on Chinese New Year! On that day, I will probably be wearing black.


Got this week: The Departed.

I wanted to see the movie in theaters, but money being short (about five foot three, an inch shorter than me if you do not include the spiky hair) I decided to help destroy the theater business and wait for DVD. I AM A HUGE FAN OF INFERNAL AFFAIRS. Those are the best crime dramas anywhere. One of my favourite moments in HK was being able to see the third Infernal Affairs in Hong Kong in a movie theater (My favourite touristy thing was the Buddha at Po Lin Monastery and DVD shopping by the Chunking Mansions).

But anyway, I am looking forward to watching the Departed.

I had someone ask me to describe Filipino food and at first I did not know what to say. It is like the Filipino concept of ‘marienda’, which at first I thought was just another word for snack time but apparently is a cultural thing where you invite someone just over to pay your respect to them for being a friend, over snacks of course. Or something like that, thing is there was more to it than I thought. So on the spot I said it was like Chinese food mixed with Mexican food with a touch of soul food.

Which I think is right. We got the noodles and egg rolls, we got the empanadas and we also get the attitude and deep fried attributes of soul food.

And I still want to get some halo-halo. And some veggie kare-kare (if there is such a thing).


Just for the hell of it, I would like to post this link: www.StasiaKuehlem.piczo.com



Because even vegetarians like meat every now and then.


Currently listening to the single of Sweet Surrender by Sarah McLachland, the first time in a while. It is the only thing of hers I have ever picked up although I have deep respect for her. Some sweet remixes here too, which I thought was an odd discovery. I came across her over at LAX and wanted to say hi, except she was cussing out one, lone paparazzi who just kept clicking away. Live in LA for a few years or so and you are bound to see something like that at least once.

Interesting blog update from the boys at www.myspace.com/vnvnation. Some funny stuff there, I just wish they would confirm if they are playing SXSW or not so I can see if I will pony up the $250.00 or so for wristbands.

"Judgement Day is not coming, soon enough"

For the folks back home there is an interesting study/contest at http://www.nbc4.tv/traffic/11010753/detail.html about how fast it would take to go from Northridge (in the beautiful San Fernando Valley where I hail from or at least went to college) to downtown Los Angeles during rush hour. For those not in the know, this is about a roughly twenty mile drive, which I have done before prior to rush hour in the early morning the shortest time taking about twenty five minutes. You realize I left at 6am to accomplish that taking the 101 all the way. I have no GPS or a working radio in my car.

These guys left at about 8:45am and most were armed with the latest technologies to do it (one only gets a map). I would have liked to see all of them just do it blind and see how long it takes them.


The guy with just the map won.

He was also credited as being the most experienced LA driver amongst the bunch. But it still took him 70 minutes to drive 20 miles, which is honestly an average time to take there for that distance in rush hour. And apparently just five years from now, it will take 20 minutes longer.

Now to where I live to where I work in down town Austin is roughly the same distance, 20 miles. And I still leave before the crack of dawn to miss all the traffic and just like in LA, it takes me 25-30 minutes to get there (average speed 60-65 miles per hour- I am no speed demon like the rest of Texas). I took roughly the same route once in the late afternoon rush hour traffic and it took me 75-90 minutes.


So, LA vs. Austin traffic? No difference if you go or are stuck during rush hour.


________________________________________________________________________
http://www.myspace.com/catterpillarboy
http://catterpillarboy.blogspot.com/
http://catterpillarboy.livejournal.com

And one for the guys because I'm fo' real, yo...









0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home