Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Salamat po...

11/23/2005

"The stillness in stillness is not the real stillness; only when there is stillness in movement does the universal rhythm manifest." - Bruce Lee

Yes- it’s a short day at work but it’s also a slow day at work…it’s the last hour of the work day and how much you wanna bet it’s the freakin’ longest?

So…Thanksgiving…my first exposure to it was reading about it in Brunei as a young fob in the Charlie Brown Encyclopedia (no need to hunt down that set as a grown up but happy to find the strips in the Peanuts 50th anniversary book…). Didn’t really know what to expect from the day itself when I moved here in 1991- all I knew was that I was hanging out with my relatives at my Uncle’s house…dude, it was such a surprise to see a table full of white man’s food at a Filipino house. They had everything: cranberry, stuffing, ham, casserole, pumpkin pie and of course- turkey. And it was great too- my Uncle Sonny is one of the best cooks out there (just ask Holly who hates ribs but devoured the ones I brought home that my uncle made).

I’ve had less real Thanksgiving meals since I’ve moved out on my own (yesterday’s luncheon don’t count mostly because I didn’t really know the people I was munching on turkey with and the fact that it was a Tuesday)…either Holly and I sleep in or I would put in a day’s work at Casa- but since I now work for an agency that’s closed that day of the year, we’ll probably just sleep in again this year and watch DVD’s.

But I still look forward to it…it’s one of the few real weekends in the year…a day to decompress from and forget about work…another day to head out and shop if you want and two more days to just relax…weekends should always be like this…

So- what am I thankful for this year?

1) Holly and the Cats- as always
2) The fact that I have a job- seriously thought I’d still be job hunting …
3) Being in Texas- I don’t love Texas yet and still miss So Cal but it’s a new experience and I’ve been wanting to try and live somewhere new in a long while
4) No regrets
5) Good people that I work with here…they’re not Super Heroes but they believe in a good, honest day’s work
6) 4 years at Casa Pacifica- I’ve mentioned this before but I’m thankful for my time there, the people I’ve met and that there’s a place like that for kids to go to
7) That I haven’t lost my mind yet

Well, there’s more…but they’re too boring to list and I wanna quit while I’m ahead…

Happy Thanksgiving out there and stay always crunchy…even in milk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home