Thursday, March 16, 2006

Tokyop Rose Review

Why is it that everytime you go to an indie rock event you see a million and one close of Keiko Agena (LAne from Gilmore Girls)?
03/16/2006

First an apology to Holly: I had jokingly posted on The Birthday Massacre’s comments page that I wanted to marry the lead singer. I DON’T. A thousand apologies. I’ll go now to whip myself a billion and one times with a wet noodle.

Went back to San Antonio last night to see Tokyo Rose (they so kindly put us on their guest list after they got kicked off the stage last night and didn’t get a chance to complete their set). They played at avenue called the Sanctuary which I guess with the Front 242 and Aptoptygma Bezerk posters and the name of the place is where the goth community could convene at times. But not tonight. Tonight, it was all about tiny bands with small but growing audiences.

I’ll never get over the fact that the lead announced a song by saying, “you’ll know this one, it on MySpace!” What a time we live in. Their gig was a little over a half an hour long and had the same energy they presented with the previous night. Which was infectious. I was still functioning on only three hours of sleep so I didn’t really demonstrate my infection. But then again, would you like me to share my infections? Where was I? San Antonio? Well, last night I was…watching Tokyo Rose. Who are just a bunch of nice guys. Their music is guitar based and you’d like them if you like guitar based indie rock like…well, I’m not too familiar with indie rock…The Pixies are way past indie rock, no matter what they say. The Pixies have the WORLD’S GREATEST FILIPINO Joey Santiago in their band and Tokyo Rose has two flat nosed Asian-Pacific-Islander representatives in their band (I think- I haven’t seen another Filipino in Texas in over four months, I might forget what they looked like). Not that being a FOB makes for a rocking indie guitar band. Anyway- these guys were cool and I’d to see them again, although, maybe next time- I don’t want to be the oldest guy in the crowd. Ryan, Christopher, Joshua, Thomas and Mark- thanks for getting us into your show. Hope you had tons of exposure at SXSW and that next time we see you play it’ll be at Wembly Hall. Or something bigger than a living room. Not that I know how big Wembly Hall is.

I’ve never been there.

Anyway- why is it that I have to go to San Antonio to finally find a cool record store? Next to the venue was a record store named Hogwild and they had cool stuff in their store! A GOTH SECTION- I never thought I’d see another record store with that.

San Antonio seems like a decent place having gone there two nights in a row. Nice to see the 10 freeway again…a line that leads to the West Coast.

Holly and I also went to downtown to check out the SXSW activities. They closed down a few streets where good portions of the clubs were. We didn’t have wristbands, tried to go see World Party and got rejected because general admission attendees were closed of since 7pm. Oh, well- they’re on tour later this year anyway and hope they pass this way. The atmosphere was reminiscent of Santa Barbara during fiesta…college aged kids wandering everywhere, party girls trying to be cool but ultimately failing, middle aged men trying to be funny and twenty years younger, sidewalk food, rickshaws, traffic and me trying to sneak into places. And bad cover bands. Bad Cover Bands are an as of yet undiscovered layer of hell.

I’m going back tonight- I still don’t have a wristband but I heard there was a cool free show tonight. ________________________________________________________________________
http://www.myspace.com/catterpillarboy

http://catterpillarboy.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home