Friday, October 20, 2006

Combichrist/KMFDM Review

October 20, 2006

"Kein Mitleid Für Das Mehrheit"

COMBICHRIST/ KMFDM REVIEW

This show kicked my ass. It is that simple.

But first, a slight negative remark from me. Both bands only have one song. It is a song marked in its originality with its hard hitting electro beats and aggressiveness that is likewise originally reworked and remade each time and then given another name. It is that simple with these two bands, you hear one song; you heard their whole set list. If you like that one song, you will like the band, if not; move along there is nothing to see here.

And you can believe I love the songs that Combichrist and KMFDM threw at me and attempted to bash in my senses.

Combichrist threw that electro-beat industrial stomp, stomp, stomp music I love so much nowadays beginning with Get Your Body Beat and ending with what I now call the Nury Vitacchi song (search my archives to get my meaning). Andy LaPaglia’s band was the one that I came to see ever since picking up their most recent album and especially after hearing their latest single. I really enjoyed hearing some of their older stuff from the albums I do not have yet. Hard hitting and extremely danceable music, with percussionist that pound into their stuff like the world is going to end (either that or it is the pounding that causes the world to end).

My one regret is that I cannot play their albums at work as all their tunes are definitely R-Rated. Plus they did the most unbelievable thing ever and started their set half an hour early. Norwegians, I love how they rock.

Then came KMFDM, after half an hour of being put to sleep by Swan Lake in the venue sound speakers (I kid you not). They came, bashed your head in and did not stop with the bashing for the next ninety minutes. I was really impressed with the energy these guys (and one lady) put out and that they were able to maintain that energy for the whole set. Most the new songs veer dangerously close to speed metal (Holly would say they crashed the barriers and were speed metal) but the trademark lyrics were still full of that iconic and ironic wit that helped you fall in love with KMFDM in the first place. I mean come on, “WORLD WAR THREE! BE ALL THAT YOU CAN BE!” You gotta love that. Additionally impressed with Lucia’s presence on stage and how she holds up against all that testosterone on stage and in the audience. It is a wonder that she remains a cult sensation while a loser like Gwen Stefani gets all the fame. Maybe if we get Japanese groupies to follow her around all the time?

Not too many of the old stuff, I wanted to hear Juke Joint Jezebel but thrilled that they played Light at least.

Dial 1-800-ACCEPT-NO-IMITATIONS indeed.

These guys are still on tour, catch them if you can. You will not be disappointed.

Show Review:
A million and ten stars. If I wanted to exaggerate, I would have given them a billion.

That was probably the last live show that I am going to see this year and probably for a while. I just cannot afford to pay at least 50 bucks every time a well known band I like comes into town to play in a crappy venue with crappy seats. What I like about bands like Combichrist/KMFDM is that their following is still such that they can still put on a hard hitting show in a decent club venue and not charge an arm and a leg. I fear that VNV Nation and Apoptygma Berzerk might soon join the 50 bucks a show crowd as Ronan Harris is now remixing and producing songs for AFI and Stephan Groth wants more mainstream acceptance.

Do not get me wrong, I want them to be rich and famous; I am just going to miss the intimate settings that being rich and famous will not afford them to play in.

On the plus side, it also leads to discovery of newer and previously unknown to me bands like the Birthday Massacre (say, where is the new album?) and is actually how I discovered Combichrist.

Emo’s was an interesting venue, a beautiful dive of a place. It was the outdoor stage, but it looked as if it used to be their garage. They are going to franchise the venue, I wonder if the dive quality is going to say intact in other locations.

Meanwhile in the real world:

Hippos in the Congo are going to be extinct within a year as noted in http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/science/nature/6065796.stm

That is just sad.

The average rent for an apartment in Los Angeles County is now $1546 a month. It is $1452 in Ventura County. The media price for an existing home in California is still half a million dollars.

That is just painful.

By the way, October is also Filipino American History Month and 2006 marks the 100th year of Filipino migration to the United States (although it is my understanding that the first Pinoy arrived in the Louisiana area in pre-colonial days).

Why didn’t you guys tell me? Is it because I am with an orang puteh?

I have no pity for you in the majority.

________________________________________________________________________
http://www.myspace.com/catterpillarboy
http://catterpillarboy.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home