Friday, December 02, 2005

Strawberry Fields Forever

12/02/2005

Happy story about a cat coming home at http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4491716.stm Yes, since I’m a cat ‘owner’, I’m a sucker for these kinds of stories…love how the cat came back fatter...


It was 25 years ago today (well, give a day or six- but it’s in the news today) - John Lennon was killed by a coward. I’m not a huge fan of the Beatles (an ex of mine was a die hard fanatic) but it’s hard to dismiss their impact. Music today would be totally different with out them- we’d probably be all listening to big band music or folk. Their experimentations on music led to poppy three minute singles, 10 minute spacey jam sessions and probably even Goth. Love how on the Simpsons, that even Flanders admits that yes, they are bigger than Jesus.

And then there was Lennon and whose anti war efforts I totally admire. I like to ‘imagine’ the world today if he were still alive. I’d like to see if his anti war stance would have been different since his beloved New York City was attacked four years ago. I would like to think he would stand his ground and be the first to say that retaliation in kind is not the answer…

While we’re at it- when you get a chance pick up Siouxsie & the Banshees’ Nocturne album- their version of Helter Skelter (with the God known only as Robert Smith on guitars) will totally blow you away…

Speaking of war- we went to Vietnam on skewed intelligence as well: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4492190.stm

And speaking of the God known only as Robert Smith- from the BBC: Musicians including The Cure, Avril Lavigne and the Black Eyed Peas are covering songs by John Lennon for an Amnesty International fundraising album.
The compilation will be released next year, but the human rights charity will release some tracks early on 10 December to mark International Human Rights Day.
They include the Black Eyed Peas' version of Power to the People, The Cure's take on Love, Snow Patrol's version of Isolation and Grow Old With Me performed by The Postal Service.
Lennon's widow Yoko Ono said: "It's wonderful that, through this campaign, music which is so familiar to many people of my era will now be embraced by a whole new generation."
The site for the songs is: www.amnesty.org/noise

Today’s Play List:
I brought a CD-wallet to work so –too many to list but in the AM I’ve already listened to Dashboard Confessional, Bauhaus, Flock of Seagulls, OMD and Depeche Mode. In the PM, I hope to listen to some Siouxsie, Hocico, more Depeche, some KMFDM and probably the Akira soundtrack or the Macross Plus ones.
Now that I think of it, I see some similarities in myself compared to Mark David Chapman. He was fanatical with a certain band when he was younger and he worked with kids at the YMCA (I’ve been the world’s biggest Cure fan since my teens and my stint at Casa). Hmm…wonder if I’m gonna gun down Robert Smith later on? Then again, I was never a Jesus freak and Mary Poole never broke the Cure up so…Also, since I’ve never fired a gun I’d probably miss and just hit his rat’s nest of a hair do.


Oh NO! The Twins are splitting up! I wonder how many HK tweeners are gonna go commit ritual suicide over this. Personally, Gillian Chung is purty. Read it at http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-12/02/content_3867103.htm

Pics online also of Michelle Reis- a HK actress from the late 80’s/early 90’s. She’s still purty but she looks different than I remember: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-12/02/content_3867120.htm

Chinese Spy work in the US: http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/achinaspy PS: I’m not Chinese- Don’t hate me…

Something to do when I get home- FOBs podcasting: http://www.sinigang.libsyn.com/

Spidey had his eye taken out and eaten by a bad guy (not willingly)…Now I’ll never read Spidey again- he used to be relatable but now he’s an Avenger…oh well, there’s still Ultimate Spidey… http://www.comicon.com/pulse/

Gonna mail in a short story to the Austin Chronicle for their short story contest this weekend- hopefully this will be the beginning of my career as a reclusive but stinking rich author...

Japanese of the day: "Omae wa shinigami desu-ka?" (are you the God of Death?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home