Friday, December 23, 2005

What Would Leon Do?

12/23/2005

An old friend named Marley visited the me today and told me to expect three visitors tomorrow night…then we did a rendition of ‘No Woman, No Cry’…

And apparently, it’s the most wonderful time of the year or something…bah-humbug!

This is bullshit: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4555152.stm , a film banned from the Foreign Film categories for the Oscars just because the film was in English…for the record though- Singapore is a place where English is spoken widely and makes sense that a movie made there would be in English.

Ai yah- they’re changing things so Californians may have to pay more for car insurance: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-insure23dec23,0,5806247.story?coll=la-home-headlines THIS SUCKS!

Short day at work today- then I’m off till the 27th . Holly’s working extra at the Mart tonight and tomorrow and I’m planning on seeing a movie if possible. Not sure what to see yet- actually some movies I want to see. King Kong is the most logical as it’s a movie made to be seen on the BIG screen. But I’m still intrigued by the new Harry Potter movie, the Chronicles of Narnia and especially Syriana or Munich. Gee, do I want to be entertained or do I want to see thought provoking images?

Holly’s planning on getting the Potter movie on DVD anyway and I’m kinda put off by the covert Christian symbolism of CS Lewis’ work (last night at the mall’s Christian book store- they had major stuff for it)…might be a rental later on. I’m currently intrigued by current world affairs- hence the interest in Syriana and Munich. Based on reviews- both movies present multiple viewpoints on the so-called war on terror.

Read a couple of reviews this morning on Munich- and they’re calling it Spielberg’s most dangerous movie lately. I haven’t really seen much of Spielberg’s recent movies- not even War of the Worlds. There’s too much sentimentality to his movies of late- Saving Private Ryan was destroyed by this- I hate, hate, hate the bookend pieces of that movie. The same with Schindler’s list- if the ending didn’t ruin it- it would have been a great film. And just from the ads- it seemed like AI, Amistad, the Terminal all seemed to seep with it. Wish the guy would go back to pulp film making although I think they should let the Indiana Jones movies rest and not make another one till a new director (Tsui Hark!) and a new actor can revisit the franchise and do something new with it.

Check out Peking Opera Blues for the best Spielberg film out there.

I also like the semi-secret making of Munich. How they didn’t really release much info about the film until it came close to coming out. Probably because Steve was still making the movie until not that long ago- I admire the last minute making of the movie, probably forced some creativity from him…

One thing I don’t like?

The poster for the movie.

Did they have to steal the idea/image from Infernal Affairs III?



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home