Tuesday, January 03, 2006

She thinks she’s missed the train to mars, she’s out back counting stars…

Well, today the rest of the world goes back to work…and my commute home in the evening reverts to taking 45-hours worth of stop-and-go. AI YAH…all of last week and yesterday, the traffic was so sane that it was almost worth leaving So Cal for…almost…

Anyway…

You can’t see the stars in Austin- not that you could really see them in LA…but in LA this time of the year you could count on seeing the evening star that is the planet Venus and at this time of year you could at least see Orion and the Big Dipper…I saw Orion for the first time last night and I think it was just a fluke because a couple of minutes later looking up I didn’t see it again.

It’s as dark here at night as it is in Oxnard- when I used to work for Oxnard College (1997) at night, I could see a perfect view of the heavens…bring a pair of binoculars and you could view Cassiopeia in its total glory. When Hale-Bopp came by I saw it every night just by tilting my neck…it was totally awesome.

Here? You don’t even get the sickly orange glow from the city…it’s just black and empty.

Article about the death of Cantonese at http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-cantonese3jan03,1,6982588.story?coll=la-headlines-california . I don’t speak Cantonese but know enough of how it’s sound to differentiate it from Mandarin and also the fact that I watch loads of HK films- a good number of which is now considered part of general Chinese cinema and is being shot in Mandarin. Kinda sad that HK film is losing its identity…

Some cool pics of the Infernal Affairs remake at http://www.hkmania.com/from.php?fromurl=http://www.hkmania.com/freenews/ex_suite_news.php?id_news=1023 . I wonder if the crane is for them to drop someone off?

The Stupid Flashback Lunch DJ just played the Emergency Broadcast Test in the middle of a song…he must die…

PS: This is my 100th post...woo-hoo...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home