Thursday, November 02, 2006

Reflective

November 03, 2006

So the trilogy of the dead days is over (that would be Halloween, All Souls Day and the Day of the Dead). But did you guys already have to put up Christmas decorations all over Sixth Street? Would it hurt to wait at least another week or two?

Bah, humbug.

Now if you will excuse me, I have three visitors coming to visit me.

Myspace still sucks by the way. But I remain to keep up to date to people back home and to see what bands are up to. An interesting bulletin was put on the other day. I used to fill out all those stupid things but then they just got repetitive (how many times do you need to know who my first crush was anyway?). Someone put up one of those that asks where you were ten years ago things and it just occurred to me that ten years ago was not that long ago. In another ten years, I wonder if twenty years ago will feel just like yesterday.

I sometimes feel like I will all of a sudden wake up and I am back in Oxnard and my Uncle is screaming at me to feed the chickens. Then it is off in the monster of a Volkswagen with the weird transmission problem (you put it in reverse to go forward) and off to classes at the Community College and that odd job at night there.

I forget what the job was called, but the main function of the job was to sit and wait. Really. I get there at 6pm Monday to Thursday, sit in the small Continuing Education office, see if anyone wants a projector or something, check them out if they do, stamp the mail, send them out and wait till all the classes are done so I can check back in all the projectors and walk all over the campus and make sure all the doors were locked.

The office had a back door to the school library so if I really wanted, I could have taken all the books out and no one would ever have known. But he only thing I did was rip out articles from the old Rolling Stones that they had.

Like I said, it was a night job and at the time not a lot of ambient light permeated the sky in Oxnard and you had an awesome view of the cosmos and it was the only time in my life where I could see all the constellations clearly. The best time was when that comet came by in 1997 and for two weeks or so it hung up there, like a constant friend.

I kept mostly to myself back then, all of my friends having moved to other cities after graduating from high school. Oxnard College was mostly back then people who had returned to school after years of being away and people my age were rare (except for the summer when everyone was taking summer classes there). It is a bigger school now and definitely different from what I used to know. I mean back then, their library computers were not even linked up to the internet.

I spent a lot of time on the beach then, too. Just walking up and down the shores in Oxnard, at Channel Islands Harbour and in Ventura. Probably why I miss the beach so much nowadays.

A lot of time was also spent at the movies, this was before I got into HK flicks, and were spent watching odd independent films, the most memorable being able to see Chasing Amy several times because I liked it so much.

Then it was off to Salzers, spending all my hard earned cash on import CD’s that were really just some good old fashioned bootlegs. Not the bootlegs you find nowadays, back then they tried to sell quality while trying to rip off the labels. Some of my favourite Cure CD’s are bootlegs that I got there. Salzers is not the same as it was ten years ago- it is a bit more upscale and does not look like a dive but some of that old atmosphere is still there.

There was a girl who worked there that I used to talk to, who had pity for the lonely soul and gave good recommendations to what I should listen to and other small chit chat. She always joked about stealing the Death shirt that I used to wear all the time back then. I do not know what ever happened to her and do not even remember her name (last I knew she went off to Cal Arts to study photography). On her last day working there, I gave her that Death shirt (gray as it was, I wanted to give her a new one, but I could not find another and it was only two years or so ago that I finally found another one. It is still one of my favourite t-shirts).

Ten years.

Huh.

I was kidding about being visited by the ghost of the past.

________________________________________________________________________
http://www.myspace.com/catterpillarboy
http://catterpillarboy.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home